Words of wisdom

Words of wisdom

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Kansas is Flat - really Flat! And Missouri is very Hilly!




I drove for 2 days to get to Lawrence, KS, which is located between Topeka and Kansas City, for a visit with my new friend John. Wheat, corn, and thousands of cows! Not the most exciting or eye-catching drive! But had a blast touring the area and taking pictures of Jayhawks everywhere! I even have one on the back of Winnie now. Met lots of wonderful new people, John's circle of friends were so welcoming and friendly. Had a great reunion lunch with old friends John and Joan Levin. I've know them for over 30 years and it was so fun catching up.

After 3 days in Lawrence, we packed up Winnie and John, I and 6 other couples headed off to Branson, MO - home of old, should-be-retired, once popular performers, of whom most have their own theater's named after themselves. But they have some great golf courses! We had 2 full days of hitting the little white ball around the courses, playing some fun games, and making new friends. We even went to the Andy William's Moon River Theater to see Paul Revere and the Raiders (Paul is 72!) and Bill Medley (of the Righteous Brother fame). It was an evening filled with songs I knew every word to - 50"s & 60"s rock & roll - it was like reliving my youth. A great evening, but sure was funny seeing old men, dressed in tight pants and wiggling their bottoms and try to stop giggling.

On Sunday morning I packed up and headed on the last leg eastward that will take me to my 'winter home.' Two very long days of driving through 4 states one day and 3 the next, though horrid thunderstorms that exploded the minute you drove into a massive road construction site in downtown 'big city' USA! Not pleasant and driving 10 hours a day is never fun.

But late Monday night, in pouring rain and pitch black, I made it to the Emerald Coast RV Beach Resort in Panama City Beach, FL. What a SPECTACULAR place. I woke up to the sun shinning and palm trees outside my window. What a big change from the high desert landscape of Wyoming and Utah. I'm a 1/2 mile from the beach, the folks who run the resort are fabulous and I started my new job as Director of Public Relations today. Unfortunately it's been raining every day and is forecasted to continue doing so till the weekend, so pictures will have to wait.

But I've settled in, unpacked everything, even have the awning open for the first time in 3 months. Tonight the 'park worker-ladies' are coming over for drinks so gotta spiff up Winnie a bit. Pictures coming and will also share with you whom my 'neighbors' are over the back fence.

Until next time....take care of each other.

ReAnn

No comments:

Post a Comment