Words of wisdom

Words of wisdom

Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Chilly Farewell to the Black Hills





The owner of Rancher J Bar RV resort came by on Friday night to say that the weather gurus were predicting 27-28 degrees overnight and they were planning on turning off the water so the lines wouldn't freeze. Well, they were right and I forgot to unhook my hose - which of course froze. No damage but sure was nippy when I got up and went outside to get ready to head to Wyoming.

Huddled under my tire was this very adorable little bird. It wasn't afraid of me and just sat and wandered around. Looked like a grouse, but couldn't find it online - so all you with the Audubon Bird books, please let me know what this little feller is.

Saturday I drove over the back roads of South Dakota into Wyoming. Now was the time that I really got to see what 'big sky country' really meant. The horizon is never-ending, the spaces are vast and the size of the ranches run into the hundred of thousands of acres. Winnie and Willie handled the hills just fine (now that I knew about overdrive!).

I came in a little south of Casper, where I had reservations at the Ft. Casper Campground, located right on the banks of the Plate River. The campground was founded by the Izack Walton League and the Ft. Casper Museum and original homestead are right on the premises. A friend picked me up and gave me a wonderful tour of the Casper area and enjoyed a great dinner downtown at the bar that Ernest Hemingway used to frequent.

Sunday, Mother's Day, will see me drive the last leg on my cross-country journey and will arrive at the Yellowstone Valley Inn and RV Resort ready to start my job working the front desk for the summer season.

Until tomorrow....take care of each other.

Re

No comments:

Post a Comment